Your Yukon adventure starts here! From gold rush fever to the birth of Whitehorse, MacBride Museum offers a comprehensive view of the colourful characters and groundbreaking events that shaped Canada’s Yukon. MacBride also offers daily programs during the summer, a first-class gift shop, and a chance to try your hand at one of Yukon's oldest professions - gold panning.
MacBride Museum was named Canada's #1 most under-rated attraction by MSN Travel Canada. It was also named Yukon's favourite museum and attraction by a Yukon, North of Ordinary magazine readers' poll. We are currently expanding! Stay tuned for new stories and exhibits launching in 2018.
Exhibits and Artifacts
MacBride Museum covers a half of a city block in downtown Whitehorse, Canada. Its exhibit space focuses on the natural, social, economic and industrial history of the Yukon with a focus on the development of the territory’s capital city, Whitehorse.
We are currently expanding! Stay tuned for new stories and exhibits launching in 2018.
Wild World Gallery
The Yukon is home to 17,000 bears, 70,000 moose, and 160,000 caribou. This gallery features common Yukon mammals and birds displayed according to their natural habitats.
Sam McGee’s Cabin
“There are strange things done in the midnight sun
By the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.”
When those famous words were written by Robert Service the name Sam McGee became famous. Visit the real Sam McGee’s cabin at MacBride Museum to hear the real story behind this poem.
1900 Dominion Telegraph Office &
Yukon's Telecommunications History Exhibit
This log building was constructed in 1900 to accommodate the changing needs of the town. The first telegraph office was built in 1899 across the river on the east bank of the Yukon River which was the original townsite for Whitehorse. The town shifted across the river once the White Pass & Yukon Route completed its railroad and situated the station on the west bank. To save on construction costs the doors, windows and most of anything that was removable was stripped from the old building to be used on the new telegraph office.
The new building served both as the telegraph office and as the residence for its operators. The head operator, George Fleming, lived in the building until his retirement in 1923 and was succeeded by Bruce Watson who held the position until 1927. At which point the telegraph office was moved to two neighbouring houses which have since been demolished. The log cabin was left vacant and for a short while the RCMP made use of the building in the late 1920s. The Boy Scouts also made use of the building as their headquarters for a few years. In the 1950s the building was leased by the Yukon Historical Society and functioned as the MacBride Museum from 1952 until 1966.
As a result of the many functions of this building, there have been numerous and undocumented changes to the building’s interior. This is not uncommon in telegraph offices across Canada, almost none of which have maintained their original interiors. As the telegraph became obsolete, most telegraph offices were renovated and utilized for other purposes.
The telegraph line ran from Vancouver through Ashcroft, B.C. to Whitehorse and north to Dawson City along the Yukon River, connecting the Yukon with southern and eastern Canada.