Questions or concerns please contact our staff.
MacBride Museum is more than a museum. We are an archive, a centre for learning and a community meeting place. MacBride Museum illustrates and preserves the Yukon’s history. MacBride Museum is a non-profit society with charitable status. We rely on the financial support of individuals and corporations to put forth a rich variety of programs and exhibits, and to care for our community’s valued collections.
In 1950, a group of far-sighted Yukoners dedicated to the preservation of heritage started the Yukon Historical Society, the first organization of its kind in the Territory. Co-founder William MacBride was an employee of the White Pass & Yukon Route Company, and was able to salvage outdated transportation equipment for posterity. The Yukon Historical Society soon acquired the unoccupied Government Telegraph Office, built in 1900 and still located on its original site. In the 1960s this building housed the growing collection, and was open to the public as a museum during the summer. Volunteers were responsible for all the activities of the YHS and later the MacBride Museum Society until the mid-1980s when the first curator/director was hired.